[LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Feb 5 16:28:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:36:37 -0600
Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The motivation for this is: I have a hardware DAC (digital audio
> converter) in one part of my house, and a subwoofer in another.
> There is a single coax run between the DAC and subwoofer, so I can
> only send one channel.  If the overwhelming majority of my music has
> the bass mixed equally, sending only one channel isn't a problem.
> But if I choose the "L" channel to send to the sub, and much music
> has the bass mixed only to the "R" channel, then I won't be able to
> hear the low frequencies.  I want to find out how often this might
> happen.

Bass is almost always mixed to the center as low frequencies are
omnidirectional.  If you only send the L or R channel, you'll lose
some of the signal strength (about 6dB if I remember correctly) and
the subwoofer won't have the "oomph" it should, but since you'll need
an amp after the DAC anyway you should be able to make that up easily.

That said, if you're listening to old Beatles stereo mixes, the bass will
only be on one channel (left, usually) and if you've sent the right to the
DAC, there's not much for the sub.  I'd try and convert the signal to mono
for the sub feed.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com