[LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Feb 6 14:59:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 03:54:26PM +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 10:41:33AM +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> >
> >> One of the first rules of mixing you learn is to mix bass to the
> >> center.
> >
> > There is no such rule.
> >
> >> Also when mixing for vinyl if bass is not centered it will make
> >> the needle jump out of the groove.
> >
> > No, it won't.

> http://www.resoundsound.com/mixing-for-vinyl-dont-fall-for-these-traps/
>
> "Make the bass mono when mixing for vinyl. Always and absolutely. With
> bass I don't only mean the bassline. I mean all low frequencies - the
> bassline, the low end of your drums, percussion, any bassy effects,
> etc. No panning, no stereo effects. Make it mono.

A DJ talking about the type of music he works with, probably rather
heavy on bass.

> With stereo bass content the needle has to do big vertical movements
> which easily results in skips. Also the record will have to be cut
> quieter."

That last sentence says it all. The only reason why bass is usually
centered (both in the vinyl area and today) is that insane quest for
'loudness'.

If the needle skips that means the record was cut badly, or the
player has a problem, or both. Compliance of the needle + cartridge
will be the same in horizontal and vertical directions, as should
be the resonance frequencies. And a good player will have more
damping vertically than horizontally.

> I'm sure you know better, just saying that this is what everyone
> else is saying.

Ask 'everyone' if a sailboat can go faster than the wind.
Nine out ten will say no. Which is wrong, it's being done
all the time.

Ciao,

--
FA