[LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

F Tux federicogalland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 00:52:54 UTC 2014

I know you said you wanted to keep it simple, but I'd like to point out
that I have a similar setup running at home. I listen to all my music with
a guitar amplifier for the treble and a bass amplifier for the bass.

Obviously, I have to downmix the signal to mono (I don't miss the stereo
sound, I just mind hearing every single instrument as clear as possible).

The signal coming from my music player is routed into 2 separated EQs which
I use to filter the high frequencies from the bass amp and the low from the
guitar amp. You could use highpass and lowpass filters for this, but using
EQs also serves the purpose of removing troublesome high harmonics in the
guitar amp, and also, equalizing the output.

All this I do with the calf plugins (never bothered to try any other,
because they've suited me good enough so far) but you can also do that with
any gui-less plugin.

If I had to downmix the bass I'd get the player's output through a lowpass
and then downmix it by connecting left and right outputs of the filter to
the channel that's output to the subwoofer. At the same time, you can route
the untouched signal to the treble speakers adding (possibly adding some
plugin in the middle to compensate the latency difference).

I know this is a bit more involved than you originally planned but I doubt
there is a simpler way with the ALSA tools available, and this way you will
end up with a completely customized setup.

Some of the stuff I described is only based on my trial and error
experience. The enlightened people on the list will surely know how to
polish this method though I use what I have described everyday and it just
works.

Sorry for the long text, have a good one!