[LAU] re Zoom R16

sub_acoustic hamish.low.net at gmx.com
Sun Feb 23 19:48:55 UTC 2014

Thanks Atte,

That's useful, but I don't actually know how to recompile the kernel...does
this mean that the quirk will be picked up when I start up the computer, or
will I need to remake the kernel in order to add it...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile>   tells me that if I
don't know what I'm doing I might wreck my computer...

*/Reasons for NOT compiling a custom kernel
> You merely need to compile a special driver. For this, you only need to
> install the linux-headers packages/*

Also another quick question...I understand that once I can capture via the
R16, I'll need another device for playback from the laptop/ardour/jack etc.
Would the laptop soundcard be sufficient for monitoring?, or should I get
another device...?   Would this
do...http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

I've been using/trying to use a Presonus Firebox for a couple of years,
intermittently it worked well, but overall Firewire and FFADO and xruns have
been a major major major headache and waste of time so I've given it
away...this is also the reason while I'll do the bulk of my recording
directly in the Zoom R16 and then use my laptop primarily for mixing and
mastering...
...I've learnt to be wary of an enthusiastic developers who know way more
than I do, and so I can never hope to emulate the performance they claim
they have...with the R16 I can't go wrong as I'll have recorded something
regardless...

Cheers

Hamish