[LAU] APC devices for Audio

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:12:06 UTC 2014

On 27/02/14 04:24, Ivan Tarozzi wrote:

> Il 25/02/2014 09:10, Carlos sanchiavedraz ha scritto:
>>> Hi Carlos,
>>> I'm developing an industrial application for a client using APC Rock.
>>>
>>> I'm using Android, so I can confirm that linux runs on it and you can
>>> find kernel and uboot here:
>>> https://github.com/apc-io/apc-rock
>>>
>>> I never tried a "standard" linux ditributions, so I can't tell about it,
>>> but I fear the VIA support against linux is absent.
>>>
>>> I suggest you look at some better supported board.
>>>
>>> just my2c
>>>
>>> Ivan
>>>

>> Thanks so much, Ivan.
>> It's really helpful to have such a warn before wanting to purchase one
>> of those and make my life trickier, most of all when surely I would
>> try to put Musix inside that would have some driver problems (it's
>> 100% free/libre based on Debian).
>>
>> I liked the book-style one, but now maybe I'll go some other way.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

> Hi Carlos,
> I fear you can't put musix on any ARM board. Pay attention to the arch
> when you download an iso.
> I can't find any musix ARM version in the musix mirrors.
>

> Of course you can start from a debian (or other supported distro) and
> then add the programs that you want.
> If a packet is absent in arm repo, you can of course compile yourself.
>
> So, consider all that said when you plan to buy a board and download
> software for it.
>
> Now I have a beaglebone black on my desk. I haven't found spare time to
> test it, but next days I hope to try the debian  for BBB.
>
> Here some references:
> http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone+Black
> http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Debian_On_BeagleBone_Black
>
> I have no idea about debian repo for arm, I don't know if all packages
> that I found in my amd64 repo are present in arm repository.
> Or I could be for the Ubuntu way (I dislike a bit, but here the UBUNTU
> ARM wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM)

ARM is a very variable target ... debian has two ARM versions which will suit
some devices .... and are a reasonable starting point for trying to get a new
device working. There is a raspberry specific repo based on one of them, where a
huge amount of work has been put in to make it run well on a raspberry ... that
work depended in part on support from broadcom and is possibly the biggest thing
that makes the raspberries an interesting platform for me.

Getting GNU/linux running on a specific ARM device is serious work, the
manufacturers have often put work into running Android/linux but that is a very
different platform. Ubuntu is working on supporting some phones with its
GNU/linux, which could be nice to have.

Simon