[LAU] Focusrite 2i4

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Jan 8 12:04:29 UTC 2014

[James Stone]
>There have apparently been a lot of changes to the handling of usb
>devices in the kernel, which may lead to degrading of performance for
>a while tho. However, the clicks you report don't really sound as if
>they were xruns, so it's a bit odd. I certainly haven't experienced
>anything similar.

The frequency of the clicks I experienced was related to the buffer
size, and their sound was similar to the sound of xruns to my ears, so
my first suspicion was xruns.  Of course, with no further
investigations made, it remains an unproven hypothesis.

>The latency performance isn't that great on my system (maybe runs OK
>at 2/128 at 48k but does get some xruns altho haven't done things like
>disable wifi). Interested to know what other people think is
>reasonable performance in terms of buffer size for a usb interface?

On the Thinkpad here there's no need to turn off the wireless to get
low USB audio latency fwiw.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable playing the guitar through the box
at latencies greater than around 4-5ms, so my upper limit for the
buffer number and size is usually 2x64 or 3x48 at 44.1 or 48k.
(Whether this is reasonable is another question, but I'm happy the
criterion can be met by current hard- and software leaving ample CPU
capacity for DSP.)

Cheers, Tim