[LAU] Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 8 13:41:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 05:05:48AM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> I can't confirm neither directly. But I think it works these days:
>
> http://focusritedevelopmentteam.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/linux-and-focusrite-novation-products/#comment-104

Interesting.

> The reason I lost interest is that I think the device is crap.
>
> The volume dials don't latch. I set a gain on the Focusrite 18i6 and a
> minute later it's off by +-1dB.

The 'rubber controls' effect.

> Compared to the other two USB audio-device that I have, the [preamps of
> the] Focursite 18i6 is the noisiest.  Measured with a 200 Ohm
> termination and jnoisemeter: ~-72dBFS (Flat, RMS) -- the Edirol UA-25 is
> at -81dBFS and the Presonus 1818VSL at -84dBFS.

Those numbers by themselves mean nothing, you need to consider the gain
as well. If e.g. the 18i6 has 9 dB more gain than the UA-25 then they
have the same input noise.

> That make we wonder which award those 'award winning' preamps of
> Focusrite actually won :)

A marketing award ?

> It has gain labels from 0..10 -= other comparably priced devices have
> latched dials properly labeled and calibrated with dB.

If you can trust those dB marks is another matter...

I'm enquiring about this for a friend who needs an USB card to be
used with the RPi, with 4 mic inputs. Application is environmental
noise monitoring AFAIK. All suggestions welcome !

Ciao,

--
FA