[LAU] one piece with linux, one without

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jan 17 18:21:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:20:11AM -0500, bill at wolfcomposer.com wrote:
> > I really like that Chaconne! The chord voicings and structure reminds me a bit
> > of Allan Holdsworth.
> >
> > -ken
>
> THE Ken Restivo?  Your music on bandcamp helps set some of my personal
> standards, along with General Fuzz.  Isn't he in San Francisco, too?

Haha, I don't qualify as a "the", but, yeah, that's me. Glad you've enjoyed my stuff. I haven't done much with music in a few years, or even listened much, but recently started listening again, and have been enjoy all the great new music you-all have been posting here.

I downloaded and enjoyed General Fuzz's whole catalog about 6 years ago, and enjoyed it a lot-- I like chillout, and his music was always impeccably produced. Thanks for reminding me to re-listen to it. I guess he does live here, though I haven't met him.

> Anyway, thank you for listening!  That's an interesting observation.  The
> recurring chaconne is loosely modelled off of Satie, so the Holdsworth reference
> is not one i'd have made, myself.  Nonetheless, i spent a LOT of time listening
> to "Metal Fatigue" when it came out (on vinyl, at that!).  i wouldn't be
> surprised if some of that experience is tucked away underneath much of what i'm
> concsiously doing.

Aha, Satie. Well, that could possibly resolve an over-30-year-old mystery for me, which was: where did Holdsworth come up with all those wild chord voicings? Perhaps he was inspired by Satie? Wouldn't be surprised if British prog-rock guys of the 1970s were running around listening to Satie; Steve Hackett covered Gymnopediae on one of his records, etc. I'm not that familiar with Satie so I might have not made the connection from there to Holdsworth. Makes sense though.

> Thanks, again, for listening, Ken.

Thanks for posting!

-ken