[LAU] icecast with jack as input source

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 24 13:41:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, January 25, 2014 12:25 am, Peter Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 22:09 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> So everyone uses darkice instead of ices for jack support? There is very
>> little mention of that option in the search results that turned up for
>> me
>> and nothing in the official icecast documentation.
>
> Never said "everyone". But I guess I must've compiled darkice myself
> back when I used it, or I just streamed Ogg Vorbis. Most people I know
> doing this stuff just pirate a copy of SAM Broadcaster.

Well, this is a thread about using jack with icecast.

>> > Most likely because it's not written. You could provide a patch rather
>> > than complain about probably imaginary politics.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense as supposedly the ices-kh package has been
>> around
>> for a while and is even included in Arch Linux. So why do *I* need to
>> write a new patch when the ices-kh repo already has or had support at
>> some
>> point?
>
> The usual reason for something not being there is that it does not exist
> yet. Apologies for not bothering to research your issue more.

Maybe you should think twice before commenting on things that you don't
really know the answer to.

>> Surely the icecast people are aware of the kh package(s)? Let's say for
>> the sake of argument that hte kh codebase is considered inferior for
>> some
>> reason does anyone know if there a specific reason that officially
>> sanctioned JACK support is not already included in the official ices
>> codebase?
>
> Why don't you ask them?

The purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone on this list knows the
answer.

>> Is this another one of those JACK vs PA vs Android vs Icecast vs ...?
>
> Probably imaginary politics.

Surely the people who worked so long and hard to bring us icecast and the
vorbis tools are not so disinterested in JACK that they have not found the
time to add support on their own over the past 14 years. If that is the
case then I would like to know if anyone on this list knows why that is
so...

Perhaps Monty can shed some light on this topic? Or maybe one of the many
other long time users of icecast has the details.

It does seem to be a glaring omission from that detracts from the
flexibility of the official vorbis/icecast toolkit.

If it is simply that there is already support in darkice so no one can be
bothered to add it to ices then at the very least can we get a note in the
official docs about it?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd