[LAU] slightly OT: MIDI management for physical synths

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jan 25 23:26:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:

> Slightly off topic of linux audio, but I need some MIDI advice and this is
> the only list I currently monitor with electonic musicians.
>
> I have a few hardware synths that I would like to begin using with my
> computer music setup.  The last time I had them all set up I did not have
> a computer included in the system, so I had somewhat simpler connection
> needs.

[ ... ]

speaking personally, i am holding on to my "vintage" Ensoniq KMX-16 16x16
physical MIDI patch bay. I also own a "computer"-based MIDI patch bay at a
studio but I forget its name - functionally it is the same basic idea, but
happens to have a more sophisticated (programmable) configuration. It dates
to the early 2000's, and is German. The Ensoniq works great.