[LAU] More old crazed jazz

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:25:37 UTC 2014

2013-11-18 Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org>:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:15:45PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:10:52 -0800
>> Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Cleaning out hard drives again.
>> >
>> > Found this little gem, covered with obvious mistakes, (which is why it was never really published) but still interesting if you like weird jazz in odd meters:
>> >
>> > http://storage.restivo.org/music/Cronies/suite-2007-11-06.ogg
>> >
>> > Linux content is all the keyboards, which are: fluidsynth, two crazy AMS patches, jconv, jack-rack, etc.
>> >
>> > Warning: it's 18 minutes long.
>> >
>> > Part of it is in 11/4. There's also a nice windshield wiper moment where 3 bars of 5/4 are overlaid on 2 bars of 5/4.
>> >
>> > The end of this epic beast consists of a cover of "Morning Bell" by Radiohead.
>> >
>> > -ken
>> Well it took some time to get around to listening to this, but I finally made
>> it!
>>
>> I very much enjoyed listening to all 18 minutes. Good jazz is something I
>> really appreciate, and this is both good and original.
>>

> I'm glad you enjoyed it! There's a video of it too.
>
> Oh, and I just remembered after thinking about it: most of that was written by the drummer, who is also quite a skilled composer and producer as well. I think we added a few small things, improvised around it quite a bit, and of course tacked Radiohead onto the end of it, but most of that composition was Dan's. I think the first three sections (the intro riff,  the funky/swing section, and whole-tone scale walkup) were peices he'd written some years before, and I remember when he called me with the idea of the 11/4 section which was added later. The 15/4 section might have been a group composition, and then Radiohead for the last bit. Memory's hazy on all that though.
>
> -ken

For me this could be side by side with other Jazz artists on shops,
and, things of life, here we have it in this corner of the internet.

Having a great time listening to it. Interesting that "psycho" segment
in the middle, some madness for our ears, and the Rhodes' bending like
a record player running out of battery.

And I also think drummer is really good and a driving force behind.
Good to know where to contact him, just in case.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux