[LAU] Script to clean up Ardour unused files ?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 29 01:25:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 07:54:04PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com
> <jonetsu at teksavvy.com>wrote:
>
> >   What's a drag currently is that not only
> > the user interface must be used, but it must be used twice.  One time
> > to 'mark' the files to delete, then terminate Arour, then restart
> > Ardour, then empty the waste basket.  Why does this have to be done by
> > restarting Ardour ?  Why not a single GUI option at least and be done
> > with it ?
>

> because this protects your data from programming errors. if ardour can load
> the session again after a cleanup, then you are guaranteed that nothing
> will be deleted (by "Empty Wastebasket") that is still needed.

The 'test reload' could be done without having to quit/restart. After
all, Ardour can load a different session without quit/restart, so it
can probably also reload the current one.

The command line option could do the same: cleanup, reload, if
the latter fails, move files back and report error, else really
delete them.

Also, to be really sure one would have to reload _all_ snapshots.

Which reminds me of a related issue. Ardour does the right thing
for 'save as' and 'new snapshot' in that the latter does not
change the current session name used by 'save'. However, when
a snapshot is reloaded it does become the current session and
it will be overwritten by 'save', which may not be what the
user intended. This has bitten me lots of times. Putting some
marker in files created by 'new snapshot' could solve this.

Ciao,

--
FA