[LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

Lewis Pike phaselocker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 02:44:08 UTC 2014

I'm the (un?)lucky owner of an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio
interface and I'm having some serious problems getting this device to
record audio reliably under Linux.

I've been using arecord and occasionally Audacity for all of my
testing.  My problem is this: Recording a take works about 80% of the
time.  In the remaining ~20% of cases, the captured audio is extremely
loud with severe digital distortion.  Once this problem shows up, it
persists for any subsequent takes.  The only way I've found to make
the problem go away, at least temporarily, is to power-cycle the Fast
Track Pro.

I considered the possibility that this particular device might be
defective, but it seems to work wonderfully under Windows.

I'm calling out to other Fast Track Pro users in the hope that someone
out there has encountered the same problem and better still, found a
solution.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

.lewis