[LAU] Small Rotter / remote icecast box thoughts.

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Jan 31 23:25:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:12:20 -0800 (PST) Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net>
wrote:
> So does this ask about both the box and hardware?
> Hardware: Hardware depends on the audio IF. If The IF is pci(e) then
> you need sort of a standard mother board. The lowest power ones I
> know are the Intel Atom boards about 6 inches square, and seem to
> have good latency performance at low power. There is one in
> particular that only needs 12v in and figures the rest. but there are
> also atx power supplies that are about as big as the atx power socket
> that only need 12v as well. If you are willing to use USB audio IF (I
> don't know of any USB radio cards, and the chances of getting more
> than one reciever on one card lies with pci(e) cards).

We do sell such small systems as part of our daily business. Our
expirience is that the extra converter-boards are often of very bad
quality and don't last long. If they work at all in combination that
the specific board. And if they provide enough power if its not only
the board but also an pci-card and an hdd...

Better use a board that has a 19V(!) input onboard. These fit a
traditional laptop psu and provide enough power for everything you want
to do. And you can buy a psu from a vendor with expirience in
psu-manufacturing for laptops, not from a vendor with expirience in
shipping a container of cheapest parts via the cheapest route...

Oh and then there is the whole Atom-graphics problem... better use a
celeron. More power, real intel graphics (with open-source drivers) and
a power-consumption only slightly more then an atom.

- Arnold