[LAU] [OT]: Linux non-linear video editors [WAS]: Writing jingles

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 07:34:39 UTC 2014

Hi Louigi,

On 02/07/2014 00:08, Louigi Verona wrote:
> This is really a pity, because otherwise OpenShot is a great editor.
>
> In light of my increasing video editing, I am sorry to say that I am
> beginning to contemplate switching to Windows for video. I spent the
> whole day today exploring video editing tools for Linux and it was a
> total disappointment.

> 1. Tried promising *Lightworks*.
[...]

> 5. Tried *Avidemux* and some other video editor from the repos - both
> could not even open an mp4 file properly.

I'm not sure if that included Cinelerra. Cinelerra community version [1]
has recently regained momentum with lots of stuff going on. You will
most probably have to compile it (but that's relatively easy on
Ubuntu/Debian see [2] for an excellent guide), and it won't import some
formats out of the box.. but in my opinion it's worth a try. I would
keep ffmpeg ('original' version, not avlib) and mencoder handy whichever
software you use.

Also I'm not sure what your workflow for the gingle was, but for audio
such as sound-track, sound effects and so on (i.e. audio which is not
part of the video takes and editing cuts), I think using ardour (or any
jacktransport application) with xjadeo is a really powerful workflow.

Have fun :-)
Lorenzo.

[1]: http://cinelerra-cv.org/
[2]: http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/compilation.html