[LAU] another control surface question

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Jul 2 23:44:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 14:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> I am wondering how those who like tactile feel in a fader would feel about
>> a sideways rotary control. I am thinking of something like the pitch or
>> mod. wheel on a synth. But no middle detent. Rotary encoders are great for

>> My first thought was a touch strip like the old guitar style stage
>> keyboards, have it inside a slot so it is easy to feel without seeing it.
>>
>> Also, ticks and direction happen to work well with the control board I
>> have on hand... the software can change that to a hard value if required
>> though.

> Sounds interesting.
>
> A bit more work, but it's possible to get miniature toothed belts and pulleys.
> I wonder if this would give a thinner structure and a nicer feel as you would
> be pushing the belt up and down as your 'slider'.

I had thought of that too. I was looking for simpler... maybe for version
2 (or 3  :)  )  The belt would be teeth up I would guess. The belt itself
would be in a groove to keep it from moving sideways with just the teeth
sticking up. The encoder would be moved by the flat side of the belt. It
would be a good question how much side force the encoder could stand
without additional support for the shaft... and how much the whole thing
ends up costing as compared to motorized faders. Which ever way I go, I
may need to have some friction added to make sure the disk/belt stops when
the user removes their finger. or maybe the cheap encoders used are not as
free spinning as the shaft encoders I have worked with in the past.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net