[LAU] another control surface question

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Jul 4 06:55:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 01:58:02PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> >It all seems a nice idea, but OTOH you can get a Yamaha motorised
> >fader for 20 Euro, see
> ><http://www.thomann.de/it/yamaha_ls_901vmotorised_fader.htm>.
> >
> >I wonder if you can get and assemble all the required parts for
> >a usable 'belt fader' for that price.
>
> That is about the same price I was looking at for motor faders to.
> But... that is not the whole story... You need also the driver for
> the motor, a touch sensor so it knows you are controling it and
> don't burn the motor out trying to go against your movement and you
> also need an analog in port. Also needed is the circuitry to receive
> the virtual fader position from where ever and apply it to the fader
> logic. SO the fader is $20, but the whole price is closer to $50

I don't think so. You need an 'H-bridge' for each motor, an LN293
(IIRC) has two of those and costs around 2 Euro. Then you need an
AD converter which can be multiplexed and doesn't need to be very
high speed. Something with 8 channels, 12 bits will be less than
1 Euro per channel. Then the touch sensor, again this can be done
for around 1 Euro per channel. All the rest you need anyway, or
can be SW. So a pessimistic guesstimate would be 25 Euro per fader.

Ciao,

--
FA