[LAU] OT Microphone recommendation

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 18:41:23 UTC 2014

Well, I ordered my microphone preamp, now I need a microphone.
Based on the archives of this list and my budget, I identified
three.  What I mostly will be doing is:

(1) Recording voice, either speaking or singing
(2) Recording acoustic instruments (classical guitar, clarinet)
(3) Recording chamber music.

So the three microphones are:

(a)  Shure SM57 (Is there a difference between the SM57 and SM57-LC?)

(b)  Shure SM58 (Though which one: the SM58-LC, SM58-CN or SM58S ?)

(c)  CAD gxl 2200 large diaphragm condenser   $60

Just from my naive understanding, the SM57 seems like it might be the
best  "general purpose" microphone for my needs.

Do people have advice or other recommendations?  Thanks.

Eventually I will buy a second microphone for stereo recording.