[LAU] OT Microphone recommendation

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:46:44 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 02:41 PM, Ivan K wrote:
> Well, I ordered my microphone preamp, now I need a microphone.
> Based on the archives of this list and my budget, I identified
> three.  What I mostly will be doing is:
>
> (1) Recording voice, either speaking or singing
> (2) Recording acoustic instruments (classical guitar, clarinet)
> (3) Recording chamber music.
>

> So the three microphones are:
>
> (a)  Shure SM57 (Is there a difference between the SM57 and SM57-LC?)
>
> (b)  Shure SM58 (Though which one: the SM58-LC, SM58-CN or SM58S ?)

I haven't heard of the "CN" version.  The S version has a switch (do NOT
get this one!), "LC" has no cable.

The 57 and 58 are nearly identical.  The 58 rolls off rolls off at 50Hz,
the 57 rolls off at 40Hz.

The 57/58 is "acceptable" for a lot of instruments and voices.  It is
"the best" for none.

If you plan on adding a second mic for stereo recording, be aware that
no two 57s or 58s sound alike.

It's probably the best $80 mic, though.