[LAU] General Audio question - soft recording and bad SNR?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 01:17:39 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit with jack2. I have a USB UA-25EX to
which I connect a Shure SM75. I don't do much recording, and at a very
amateur level for various volunteer projects.

The maximum volume I get from my Shure SM75 seems very low. The result
of this is when I normalize I get fairly significant background hum.
Increasing the UA-25EX's gain just causes peaking at louder volumes,
so no solution there. This happens with both Audacity and Ardour, so
should not be software-related.

Any suggestions as to what I should investigate? A bad mic (I did
check, its not a knock-off)? Electrical noise from my laptop (used to
use a different laptop but from the same manufacturer, same results
from both). Jack settings?