[LAU] live video switching? WAS: Re: VJ / VeeJing software alternatives

Sam Mulvey sam at vis.nu
Fri Jul 18 23:45:27 UTC 2014

On 07/18/2014 02:23 PM, Neil C Smith wrote:

> > Any suggestions or experiences?
>
> I don't know if Praxis LIVE (www.praxislive.org
> <http://www.praxislive.org>) would be of interest to you? I know it's
> been used by a few VJs. It's partly aimed to be a free alternative to
> software like Isadora - patcher style but at a higher level to things
> like PD, though it also has the ability to create custom components in
> code.

This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm not nearly as good at video
as I am at audio, and I'm actually trying to solve this problem as the
thread came up, so I thought I'd throw it out there:

Are any of these tools useable for live television production?   I've
been requested to add video to the audio capabilities of my studio, and
I'd like to stick with open source stuff as much as possible, sticking
with my design goals.   I need the usual stuff-- graphics, maybe bring
in some desktop things for video conferencing.  I've looked at what's
out there, and it seems pretty early days.   Not stuff I'd feel
comfortable someone who's not code-inclined operating.

If I can back that into an OSC interface and just provide some shiny
buttons that do obvoius things, that changes the situation.   Right now,
I'm trying to slap together a mac with enough horsepower to run
camtwist, but that's a bandaid.

-Sam