[LAU] live video switching? WAS: Re: VJ / VeeJing software alternatives

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Jul 19 11:13:54 UTC 2014

On 07/19/2014 01:45 AM, Sam Mulvey wrote:

> This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm not nearly as good at video
> as I am at audio, and I'm actually trying to solve this problem as the
> thread came up, so I thought I'd throw it out there:
>
> Are any of these tools useable for live television production?   I've
> been requested to add video to the audio capabilities of my studio, and
> I'd like to stick with open source stuff as much as possible, sticking
> with my design goals.   I need the usual stuff-- graphics, maybe bring
> in some desktop things for video conferencing.  I've looked at what's
> out there, and it seems pretty early days.   Not stuff I'd feel
> comfortable someone who's not code-inclined operating.
>
> If I can back that into an OSC interface and just provide some shiny
> buttons that do obvoius things, that changes the situation.

http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/

Can switch a couple of camera (DV) sources and is OSC remote
controllable (the website is a tad out of date, but the source rocks)

We've used it at various Linux-Audio Conferences to manage the
live-stream (a couple of cameras, screen-grabber/scan-converter).

There's additional tools to map buttons of a BCF2K -> OSC -> DVswitch

(if you understand some German: Joern and I did a recent workshop at the
SAE in Berlin: http://gareus.org/_export/s5/wiki/dvswitch_slides )

ciao,
robin