[LAU] Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

Aiyumi Moriya aiyumi.br at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:15:07 UTC 2014

>> I have had some luck with Kontact and festige
>
> Really? :D That got my hopes up.
>
> Does the free Kontakt 5 Player also work under Wine? There's this
> violin sample library that I'm interested for quite a while now:
>
> http://embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php

Now I can confirm that Kontakt 5 Player and the Embertone Friedlander
Violin work under Wine.

> It is a solo violin library, but it also has an "ensemble" mode.

It can simulate a violin section with up to 8 players. You can control
the tuning and timing of each player.

I had some trouble setting Kontakt up, but it was related to my screen
reader (software that speaks all the text on the screen, mostly used
by visually impaired people to access the computer) taking over the
soundcard and ALSA. People with standard setups (I.E. almost everyone
else) probably won't run into this problem.

The instrument is a "Powered by Kontakt Player" library, and needs to
be registered through the "Add Library" button. This button is also
present on Kontakt's VST interface, but it doesn't work (it prompts
you for choosing the directory where the library is installed, but
gives a "No library found" error. I don't know if that also happens
with the VST on Windows). You must use the standalone Kontakt to add
and activate the library (you need to do it just once). After added
and activated though, the instrument also appears in the VST interface
and works normally. I can use it with Dssi-VST and record the output
in Ecasound with no problems.

The only "obstacle" in getting this library is the download. They make
you use a Continuata proprietary download manager app, which didn't
work properly on Wine (at least for me). With Wine set to "Windows 7"
it didn't even run, while as "Windows XP", it did but the download
always hung and corrupted (I resorted to Windows to download the
library, the only thing I used Windows for). After some googling, I
read that other sample lib developers relying on this app provide the
manual download links if the customer can't use the app. It might be
worth checking if Embertone does that too.