[LAU] A short story: from zero to recording the drums in a budget

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 01:03:11 UTC 2014

On 22/07/14 05:52, Robin Gareus wrote:
> The weakest part of your setup are probably the KRK Rokit 5 monitors.
> I've heard those in comparison and was not convinced for
> mixing/mastering in general, but I cannot judge them for drum mixing
> on a budget. Note however, that this directly affects the processing
> (compression/eq/etc) that you'll be doing and it may or may not be
> possible to 'get used' to these monitors and learn how to properly
> tweak details of the mix with them. best, robin
Some great advice someone gave me was to play some music you are very
familiar with on your monitors before the mix session to "tune" your
ears to the monitors.
With the "ear tuning" tip you can get good results with any half decent
monitors. A friend of mine has some awful Samson monitors but manages
acceptable results.
I got some new monitors a while back and auditioned a few including KRK.
I ended up getting Adam A5X and am very pleased with them.

Happy mixing
Roger