[LAU] Phone to computer adaptor

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Tue Jul 22 03:17:52 UTC 2014

No, not magicjack ... mind you my understanding is that newer versions of
these don't need a computer at all. They just plug into a 'net connection.

I should have been more clear. Right now I use google chat to make some of
my long distance calls. It's free and works pretty well. Just dial out via
my gmail interface. I have one of those $10 skype phones plugged into the
computer, which linux sees as a usb soundcard.

No, I can't receive calls via the google interface. And that's fine. Still
have my regular land line. And probably will for some time since none of
the VOIP providers seem to have phone numbers in my area and I don't want
to impose long distance on my local callers.

I have an extra cordless phone which works just fine on POTS. But, it's not
being used so I though I could use it instead of the $10 skype phone by
plugging it into the computer ... and that is the magic box I want :)

Thanks.

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca