[LAU] A short story: from zero to recording the drums in a budget

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 22 09:54:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:19:47PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Carlo Ascani wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got a similar setup: 512M, Arch + windowmaker,
> > > but can't get A3 to run on it in any usable way - it
> > > just eats too much memory. Any tricks ??
> > >

> > Not really, sorry.
> >
> > And honestly, the only thing I am able to do with so little ram
> > is to record.  No way I can do editing, and plugins neither.
>
> Is it your plugins that are so heavy, or the
> app the hosts them?

It's A3 taking something like 330 MB just for an empty
session. The only thing I'd want to do with this system
is recording (which worked perfectly well for years using
A2), no plugins or anything else.

I replaced A3 with a simple GUI app doing multichannel
recording, metering, playback and a stereo monitor mix with
EQ, solo, mute and two aux sends, but ATM no editing.
It also allows to set markers and maintain a detailed cue
sheet of the recording. It does all I need for a typical
classical music production or live session and takes less
than 1/10 of the memory plus 1M per channel. Maybe I'll
add 3 and 4pt editing, that would make it complete.

Ciao,

--
FA