[LAU] Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:16:33 UTC 2014

> On Jul 24, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/24/2014 08:18 PM, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Is anyone achieving significant audio latency gains or xrun stability using a RT kernel with Kxstudio or similar Ubuntu studio distro's?
>>
>> If so, which kernel / where /do I gotta roll my own?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> ~ Russell
>
> Hi Rusell,
>
> I'm using stripped down Ubuntu installs with 3.2 and 3.8 RT kernels
> which I roll myself. RT kernels allow me to achieve slightly lower
> latencies and a bit more stable systems. But I don't think this is all
> due to the RT kernels, it's also doing the right tweaks with the right
> tools.
>
> Jeremy

Thnks Jeremy,

Anything specific of notable effect?

I've read up on most of it I think. Top items;

Shut wireless networking off.
Dedicated irq to audio device.
Kill or disable power saving stuff
Minimize background proc intensive processes.

Realtimescan app reports all is well bar no RT kernel. Typical recording is at 44.1/16.

Thnx