[LAU] Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:41:20 UTC 2014

~ Russell

> On Jul 24, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone achieving significant audio latency gains or xrun stability using a RT kernel with Kxstudio or similar Ubuntu studio distro's?
>>
>> If so, which kernel / where /do I gotta roll my own?
>
> To be honest, I don't know how I could see a difference. I am running lowlatency right now and see no xruns at all with .6ms latency no matter how much I have running. Concidering the audio card has a 1ms latency to add to that... There is nothing to gain by going lower.

Wow! Pci(e)? USB? Fw? What IZ interface? That's a lot better than I'm getting. What is your rig/desktop?

> To be honest, hardware, bios and system settings have more to do with things than the kernel. For example, I do not think a RT kernel will make any difference to a machine running hyperthreading or ondemand, both will make for higher latencies for stable operation.

I hear you... I look briefly thru those to look for snares such as irq piling. The bios in this old Vaio is about a useful as a chocolate teapot! But I set CPU to performance in user spc (I think...) nowhere to deal with hyper. I don't think this dual core has it actually.

> The second thing to remember is that multicore CPUs have changed the way lowlatency can ....

Could I trouble you to elaborate on last paragraph a little??

Thnks all for sharing!