[LAU] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:06:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 08:18 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 07:09 +0000, Kaza Kore wrote:
> >> I believe MIDIbox/UCapps was the first open source DIY MIDI
> controller
> >> project  I knew about personally anyway :)
> >>
> >> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html
> >
> > MIDIbox SID V1
> > Created 2002/2003
> >
> > So no, there were projects 20 years earlier. There was no Internet
>
> I don't know 20 years earlier, but my first MIDI HW build was late 80s
> (88 or 89)

That was the time when I programmed and build MIDI equipment too, I
started using MIDI some years before in 1983 or 1984, with a DX7 and
4-track without a computer, but IIRC even in the early years there were
free/open projects, e.g. to MIDIfy CV/Gate synth. Some circuits and
software likely were not free/open, but public by piracy.

On the quick I found a book from 1990 ST and another one from 1988 C64.