[LAU] live video switching? WAS: Re: VJ / VeeJing software alternatives

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jul 27 15:56:53 UTC 2014

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Kaza Kore wrote:

> Not video switching, and if all your video sources are going to be consumer
> products it may be of no interest to you, but the BBC has done a fair amount of
> research and development into tapeless production on Linux over the years. Mainly
> multi-channel recording, using prosumer Blackmagic card giving up to 4x SD
> in/outs.

Actually, my consummer Canon 60D has no video over USB, but does have both
video out and hdmi out. So these cards are certainly a working solution.
The cost compares very favourably with many of the audio cards
mentioned/recomended on this list too. with a single i/o starting at $145
and four channel i/o still less than $1000 (manufacture's recommended
price). For PCIe, there are also USB3 and Thunderbolt (AKA firewire with a
converter? I have noticed all the new firewire audio IF call themselves
Thunderbolt compatable with an adaptor)

And it seems once again I am behind in my knowledge of new video standards
(probably old by now) Both this product as well as the Rohde & Schwarz
stuff talk about audio embedded in the video. 16 channels AES/EBU (8
pairs) per video channel. Maybe this is another audio interface solution
as well. (the box for embedding would be somewhat pricy $1000 for aes in
then ADCs to feed that... USB2 with an ADAT would be way cheaper for the
same channels)

Best of all, both products proudly display that they have both drivers and
SDK for Linux. The Blackmagic says they are open standard capture cards
and that the SDK is free (maybe not open?). It appears that the target
audience for these products are used to doing their own inhouse software
to use them.

The recommended system to run them on does not seem above midrange for a
home system. It seems many of these cards do some switching/keying on the
card. I would guess this includes fades as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net