[LAU] Slowing down audio while keeping same pitch ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Jul 30 01:42:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

> Is it possible to slow down an audio file (mp3 for instance) while
> keeping the same pitch ?  Does it even make sense ?  The software would
> have to insert more of the same audio 'bits' to make it last longer.
> Is it possible ?

Same stuff as auto talent. Once upon a time changing the length of an
audio segment was done with tape... and rotating heads.
This is the only link I could find:
http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/pitch-shifters-pre-digital/
I know it says pitch shift, but it should be obvious that changing the
pitch first and then slowing or speeding the tape till the pitch is
correct would change the length of the audio track as well. I was told
these were used to make commercials the right length, but have never
witnessed their use.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net