[LAU] Social Media

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:03:00 UTC 2014

> fred wrote:

>>> Well, for comparison, I once tried to make a simple stereo recording
>>> using Ardour, and was completely unable to figure it out. But pro-level
>>> software is complex and assumes that its user has a lot of domain-specific
>>> knowledge (is an experienced audio engineer). I don't fault the UI for that!
>>>
>> Ardour is a really step above Cubase...
>

> I'm not the one who tried to use Cubase, so I'll take your word for it.
>

> --
> David
> gnome at hawaii.rr.com
> authenticity, honesty, community

Hello dear all.

First, my apologies for rescuing this thread from the sands of time of
LAU. But I bumped into this working on some of my projects I'm
struggling to bring to the (web)light at last, and those words from
Jeremy and your responses totally resonate with me, and the concept
seems to be present nowadays even when this thread goes back to 2011.
I just wanted to let go some words about the subject.

I think Tools don't make the Artist. But it's clear that it's really
helpful when a really well known artist or a great mixer/producer
shows up in a video using tool X (multifx, plugin, daw...). Because if
they are good at what they do it usually seems it's so easy to do Y
(play, mix, record...) with that tool that the tool itself benefits
from that perception, and people think that is the tool that's making
them do what they do. And big enterprises, of course, take advantage
of this, along with beautiful eye-candy graphical interfaces.

So if there is well produced quality material that demonstrate how to
get an amazing guitar FX, how to easily record yourself in you're
room, how to mix you're band... then people might get the seminal idea
of "hey, this works", and after that maybe they might be interested in
going a little deeper and getting to know that those tools also take
care of their rights and freedom and all that philosophy we are
already aware of.

That is critical to be aware of: Humans hate or are not comfortable
with changes, and non tech-savvy people usually just care about if it
"just works", and much better if it has a nice GUI; and moreover if
there's some neighbor/friend that can make them a copy of the tool and
teach them how to use it. Word of mouth is of course invaluable.

Modestly, I still trying to do what I can from various perspectives,
and hopefully I'll be taking another further steps to give at least
just a little back of all that I receive from so many talented people
that free their knowledge... and their software and projects as well.

It seems that even all of us along with many people in the FLOSS
community still trying to go against the current, the established, the
easy way, there's way to go.
But, again, it feels that nowadays, given so many changes that are
happening, there's another chance to make a shift. Still trying to
think global and act local, and still trying to put my modest and tiny
two cents.

Sorry for that lengthy spiel.

Thanks you all.

--