[LAU] John Option: the source code of the music

Massimo Barbieri massimo at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 9 15:54:38 UTC 2014

Hi!
A few months ago I started with a friend of mine a musical project
that has particular similarities to the philosophy of free software. I
would like to tell you about it in this post and I'd love to read your
feedback.

With our band John Option[1] we published our first single My monkey
some week ago. Of course the song is published under the terms of the
Creative Commons License (CC-BY-SA) and it's completely produced only
with free software: Ardour, Hydrogen, Jack, Qsynth, CALF, and many
other great free audio software that we used under a GNU/Linux system.

Here you can listen the single: http://youtu.be/GdsyGlPkfEg

But with the project of John Option we have done a little more in the
direction of freedom. As for the free software the source code is
accessible for the users, we decided to do the same thing for our
music. So we published the single recording tracks of the song My
monkey and the complete Ardour session. All this material is published
in our official website[1] under the CC-BY-SA license so that anyone
can use our tracks to produce a remix of our song or even a new song
that have to be published under the same license.

You can find all about our project here: http://johnoption.org

I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is a fuel
for us to continue.

Ciao,
Max-B

[1] Official site: http://johnoption.org