[LAU] Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

Aiyumi Moriya aiyumi.br at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:39:43 UTC 2014

> I have had some luck with Kontact and festige

Really? :D That got my hopes up.

Does the free Kontakt 5 Player also work under Wine? There's this
violin sample library that I'm interested for quite a while now:

http://embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php

It is a solo violin library, but it also has an "ensemble" mode. I
really liked the sound... But It runs on Kontakt Player. I googled
about Kontakt 5 Player on Linux/Wine and didn't find anything useful.
Also, from what I understood from some reading, it seems to use a
software called Continuata for watermarking and downloading the
library. I've never heard of it before - I'm a beginner in the area of
(proprietary) sample libraries -, but from the forum posts I read, it
seems to require the user to install a "Continuata utility program"
that downloads and extracts the library. The posts I read were this
one:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5448245

and the one directly below it.

But I googled about it too, and found a post about someone downloading
(not specifically this sample library) normally via the browser
without using the Continuata thing.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376934

Does that mean it isn't required, and only the developers need to use
it to watermark/upload or something? If it's really required, any idea
if that works under Wine?

The library is on sale right now, costing $99 USD until June 15th
(before, it was $110), and I'm seriously considering buying it. I just
would like some confirmation if it can work under Wine, even if JACK
doesn't work and I have to use an external hardware recorder to
capture the speaker outputs or something. :P

Thank you to anyone that chimes in! :)