[LAU] Live bass guitar -> analog synth on a 2007 laptop: viable?

Artem Vakhitov temcat at mail.ru
Thu Jun 19 23:44:14 UTC 2014

Hello fellow Linux audio users,

I'm back to dabbling with Linux as an audio system. Among other things,
I play bass guitar in a synth pop band and recently started to get
interested in bass synthesizers. I could of course buy something like
Markbass Super Synth, but then I thought - maybe I could cobble together
something using my Samsung Q35 laptop and Linux? The laptop has a dual
core processor and 2.5GB RAM. The sound card is a variable here: it
could be the built-in Intel HDA (for this particular purpose, why not),
or an Infrasonic DeuX (Firewire) that I have, or even some used Echo
Indigo (PCMCIA).

Is what I want viable at all with a reasonable latency? What software
setup can I use for that? Does anybody here use something similar live?

Regards,
Artem Vakhitov