[LAU] Streaming radio and calls from listeners

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jun 22 22:13:34 UTC 2014

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> This seven seconds 'profanity delay' seems to be a US thing,
> and probably an FCC requirement. I've never seen such things
> used on this side of the Atlantic.

And Canadian too, but I hear lots of words from announcers that would
have been out the door the same day words not that long ago. More
likely to have trouble with "hate" words these days.... flavour of the
week stuff. There is a big difference between internet radio and on air.
On air requires a licence after which lots of money gets spent putting up
transmitter and studio, then lots of money is spent paying employees and
talent. The loss of a licence for a radio station is devastating. Internet
radio? I would have no equipment outlay, no licence to worry about either.
Probably it would start with as little as one person maybe not even paid.
The biggest thing with music is making sure royalties are dealt with
either by picking free to play or making sure payment was made. At worst
someone may come and remove my computer... they may sue too, but you have
to have something to sue for :)  Most likely just stopping would quell
complaints though.

Ya, it depends where you are for sure. It changes all the time too.
Generally when interviewing someone on the phone it is not a problem. Call
in stuff can be more volitile... perhaps north americans are just less
polite  :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net