[LAU] Streaming radio and calls from listeners

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jun 23 19:58:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:

>> [1]: To the point where I'm designing a hardware interface that acts
>> like the older boards I'm used to, but is all digital underneath.
>> Right now, I'm using touchscreens, and having to look at what I'm doing
>> can actually be a problem sometimes.   With pots and switches, I can
>> feel around.
>

> I would be interested in knowing more about that, if it's not a
> supersecret project. A common goal on my projects is to "feel" instead

One of the cheapest, easiest to hack pieces of hardware out there is a
keyboard. Either the old serial ones (mini din) or the USB type already
have 100 plus switches worked out. It is recognized by linux and X and so
by any app, most of which have key mappings already. So long as you are
using less than the full number of switches, it is pretty easy to select
switch points where there can be multiple key presses at once. A pot is a
bit harder (and there is midi pots out there) but could be done with two
switches where moving the pot one way selects one switch and moving it the
other way selects the other.

Keyboards (if you just can't find them free... a coffee spill is not a
problem) can be had for $3 each at thrift stores or even the dollar store
brand new.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net