[LAU] LAC'14 video archive

Set Hallström sakrecoer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:30:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > The video recordings of the LAC'14 presentations have just been uploaded
> > to the conference website and are now directly linked from the archive:
> > http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2014/program
>
> I've just watched the Conference Welcome and the Keynote. My kudos to
> the organization and everyone involved, it's very nice to be able to
> watch conferences for us that couldn't afford to get there and enjoy
> them live.

Thanks for bumping this thread Carlos! The keynote by Jörg made me think
quite a lot. It's a risky thing to open conferences by questioning the
conference itself. But it was well put and constructive.
I'm a still pretty much a n00b here, although i have lurked the web-archive
of LAU since 2009. But i think i would like to participate in the 2015
session after watching some videos.

I would like to feed back my impressions after watching Jörg speak:
I work quite hard on a peer-2-peer AFK level to promote GNU/linux and
opensource, but also the philosophy arround and within it. Mainly by making
my music with it, and teaching people to use blender, gimp and inkscape. I
have noticed that it is better to let the people come to me, then to put my
reality in their face. For example when they complain about having to buy
expensive upgrades for their adobe products, i show them my results and
only then i speak about my tools.

But last year i tried something on a higher and more political level. I
first try finding out who in what department is responsible for buying
software in the swedish government (where i am now) Once i found who to
talk with, i ask this simple question:

"What is the total anual cost of all apple and windows products bought by
the state?"

At first i got pingponged all over the place. But after a few month i got
an answer: Only microsoft cost aprox 500 Million SEK (aprox. 50 million
euros). But i could tell by the email which contained may answer and the
past log of many questions and comments that the employess had asked each
other, that i layed a little seed in their minds.

Unfortunately, i don't posses the human ressources or experience to push it
further than that simple question. But unless you already have asked this
question to your country's governement, i suggest you do it. The more
people asking, the better probably.

Now for a note about the ecnomical questions raised by Jörg arround LAC:
Perhaps some of you guys are familiar with the frenchspeaking meetings
called RMLL ( http://rmll.info ) I worked with them on the 2012 edition.
And whilst it was held in switzerland where funding for culture and
knowledge is easier to arrange than most place, i would like to suggest you
ask them how they finance their meetings. Because i think pretty much all
active participants (conferenciers, workshopers etc) got their ticket and a
hot meal per day, with free to very cheap accomodation. They can be found
on IRC freenode. But if anyone would like a direct link to the
administration, please get in touch with me and i will arrange it as far as
i can.

I hope i'm not repeating anything that has been said 20'000 times before
with this email. I would however like to end it with this little anecdote:
i like to talk to random people. Hence, when ever i'm in a bar, i tigh alot
of temporary to permanent connections. Lately, a few of them have advized
me on their own behalf to try out linux "because its really easy now, and
opensource/transparency is important if society has to become
computerized". I think this is perhaps an insignifcant detail of luck and
circumstances, but also a great sign! Before 2012, i don't think it ever
happened to me. :)

Happy Audio Creation!

--
Set Hallström
AKA

wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > The video recordings of the LAC'14 presentations have just been uploaded
> > to the conference website and are now directly linked from the archive:
> > http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2014/program
> >

> > There are still a three videos missing and the workshop videos are also
> > yet to come. Currently they are also only available as vp8/vorbis/webm
> > (sorry IE and Safari users). But since it has been quite a while
> > already, we decided to not hold back the release of these already
> > finished videos any further.
> >
> > Once the collection is complete, we will provide a .torrent. Meanwhile,
> > for those who prefer to download the videos incrementally, they are
> > accessible via rsync://linuxaudio.org/ [1].
> >
> > Many thanks for Frank and Moritz to get those done in really outstanding
> > quality this year. Kudos to the complete stream-team.
> >
> > enjoy,
> > robin - for the LAC'14 team
> >

> > [1] example to get the 720p versions:
> > rsync -Pa --exclude "*360p.webm"   \
> >   rsync://linuxaudio.org/lac2014/  \
> >   lac2014/
>
> I've just watched the Conference Welcome and the Keynote. My kudos to
> the organization and everyone involved, it's very nice to be able to
> watch conferences for us that couldn't afford to get there and enjoy
> them live.
>
> @Jörn, you've spotted many questions on your presentation (here in the
> list previuos to this LAC as well) that I've wonder as well over the
> years. Great intro for a LAC which encourages a healthy self-criticism
> to get better.
>
> Not long ago I was at a conference related to Multimedia/3D/Animation
> FLOSS (not only under Linux) hanging out with speakers and presenters
> having some coffee. At a certain moment they were talking about how
> good, ethic, philosophical and bla bla FLOSS was (sarcasm wink), and I
> modestly dare to say something in the lines of: Yes... of course it is
> but... we do already know and we're convinced; so maybe what we should
> also be doing (in addition to enjoy some coffee/beer making believe to
> believers) is to tell others out there and try to put this stuff close
> to them.
> You mentioned one important point that's to contact and attract
> enterprise and companies. This surely could help to create some
> momentum and get public knowledge. Related to this point, given that
> for the moment that high end aspect escapes me (but it's on my radar),
> I'm trying to effectively do something with several in progress
> projects aimed mainly to musicians and artist not very tech-savvy and
> not aware of other other ways of thinking that care and preserve their
> freedom and autonomy (and their wallets in some way), and are
> completely useful and functional in addition (maybe just a little less
> eye-candy sometimes).
>
> P.S: Just wanted to mention that I had to change to 360p because 720p
> stream cuts off. Just FWIW. Surely it's a temporary peak.

Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com