[LAU] howto get pcmcia firewire card working

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jun 28 15:15:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014, david wrote:

> Just built a replacement for my dying desktop system. Used a Zen fanless PS.
> Even with 4 fans running inside it, the desktop is quieter than the laptop
> cooler my laptop sits on.

My experience was not the same... but my laptop is atom powered. I used as
much of what I already had in my upgrade as I could. What I was spending
already felt extravagant at the time. But I could still change out the PS
without too much hurt and I may. At least there is a door between the
computer and any mic.

> My problem on desktops is that they're all just PCIe only. So now cannot use
> the 2 Audiophile 24/96s I have. :(

That is not true at all. Please feel free to send your cards here  :)
(well one of them) One of the things I made sure on my new MB was to have
PCI slots. I have three PCI slots and use two, one for a d66 and I have an
old pciaudio that I use for the MIDI port. There were actually quite a
selection of MB with 3 pci slots and a lot more with 1 and 2.

If I wanted to set up a xeon powered board. Then pci slots are harder to
find. However the cost of board, cpu(s), case, ps and memory would make
the cost of a new Audio Science PCIe card seem ok. In other words they are
a different playing field.

In my range the i5 CPUs are the best for audio. Only buy an i7 if you also
do a lot of video or games, but for low latency audio you would want to
turn off it's i7-ness and use it like an i5 anyway.

> I suppose I should pick up a PCIe Firewire card and talk the church into
> loaning me their unused Presonus ...

You are in luck then. Any unused stuff at our church is unused for good
reason... and some of the stuff we do use makes me shudder. I am just now
on the hunt for a new mixing board (mixing desk is beyond my means) to
replace the
http://www.long-mcquade.com/64/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mixers/Yorkville_Sound/Micromix_800-Watt_Stereo_10_Channel_Powered_Mixer.htm
rental that doesn't work worth anything.

I am looking at the mackie, soundcraft and allen & heath stuff (16 to 24
ch) but we will probably be using the power amp from the above for now.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net