[LAU] Live mixers/recording

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 01:20:05 UTC 2014

On 30/06/14 09:43, Len Ovens wrote:
> Some of you may remember a while ago (year and a half or so) I was
> asking about mixers for live use. I finally have some money to spend,
> so I went back over the thread.
>
> I also looked at some of the lower end digital boards like the A&H QU
> and the Soundcraft Si series. I found it interesting that the mackie
> has firewire but the other two have chosen USB2.0 even for a channel
> count as high as 32 i/o. The manual says "standard compliant" and will
> work with the Apple no extra drivers (nothing works with windows
> without drivers). Has anyone tried one of these with alsa? Considering
> the cost of a high count audio interface, the cost of this as an audio
> IF plus controler starts to look not too bad.
>
> It is obvious that the main cost is hardware, pots, switches and
> connectors. The digital boards don't try to put in as much hardware,
> yet seem to be able to give more features for the same price range. It
> is easy to include a whole effects rack on almost a per channel basis
> only by changing cpu/dsp power.
>
> I guess in many ways that is what we are doing with a daw... time for
> the open console design? Actually we have much of it already, it is
> just the hardware parts we don't seem to have. I/O ports and control
> surfaces is all thats missing.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Midas Pro1 (which runs on Linux) or Digico SD11 (which doesn't) would be
my top choices for a small digital desk. Probably not in your budget
though given the desks you mentioned. We run Digico SD10s and SD9 where
I work.
I have always had good experiences with Soundcraft, but haven't used
their digital desks.

Cheers
Roger