[LAU] Need suggestions for lightweight audio programs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Mar 8 17:44:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014, LM wrote:

> I'm trying to find lightweight compiled audio programs that will work
> well on older computers or computers with limited resources.  I'd like

There do seem to be some limiting factors. I did try putting a headless
audio machine together on an older machine (P 300). The CPU seems to be up
to it, but my memory of 196M will not properly run jackd (pulse runs fine)
so there are some minimum requirements for some things. It may be best to
stay with ALSA for I/O as pulse tends to dropouts. I have been unable to
find more memory for this machine... I have lots that fit in the slot, but
do not show up. Yet I can use the memory from this machine in MB that the
other memory works with. I gave up because jackd (netjack) was part of
what I wanted to play with. I think 1/4G ram ends up being minimum for
most things.

For headless, or even terminal operation, I would use a text session
manager (like screen) rather than VTs as it allows using one instance of
dbus for all bash instances.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net