[LAU] debugging hiss

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 05:45:29 UTC 2014

On 15/03/14 13:42, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 14:04 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>> First of all disable Pulse, or get rid of it. Don't know how to
>>> do that on Debian.
>>
>> To get rid of it by removing and not disabling it and assumed there
>> should be a hard dependency to pulseaudio, the easiest way is to build a
>> dummy package using equivs.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html
>
> Thanks Ralf
>
> Actually I am on debian because ubuntu was forcing pulseaudio which
> was too much of a headache.
> When debian started doing the same, I decided to opt out of a clearly
> losing battle :-(

debian forces very little, no need for any desktop at all, or X, let alone pulse
and such.

But there are many desktop audio apps that are intended for use with pulse, and
they depend on pulse.

> I just checked :
> Trying to remove pulseaudio-utils and pavucontrol does not disturb anything
> Trying to remove libpulse0 removes everything!

apps which have a pulse option do of course need the library they have been
compiled with, so you need that even if you do not use it. To avoid that you
would need to recompile without pulse support, and clearly that isn't
appropriate for general distribution. It is possible for apps to be a bit more
sophisticated than this but most do not bother, it is easy just to make the
library a dependency ... libraries are separate packages for this reason.

Simon