[LAU] Sampling rates [WAS]: Re: jack/oversampling

tim tim at klingt.org
Sun Mar 16 21:30:07 UTC 2014

>> That I think is a personal call Ralf, primarily because at 48 Khz, your
>> anti-aliasing filters had better be very very good brick walls by the time
>> you get above 24Khz in input content
>
> Can anyone point out a commercially available microphone used in the
> audio recording domain which will actually pic frequencies above 20 kHz?
>
> Likewise can anyone point out any commercially available speaker used in
> the audio reproduction domain which will actually reproduce frequencies
> above 20 kHz?

my roughly 20 years old genelec s30 are specified to go to >25khz,
mundorf amt tweeters go up to 41khz, adam s4x-h are specified do go up
to 50khz.
the mundorf amt's can be used for PA speakers, a college of mine once
used them to build a line array

> If the audio produced is made for fruition of humans it makes absolutely
> no sense to try and capture or reproduce anything above 20kHz, and for
> average individuals 15kHz would probably more than enough.

but of course you need to distinguish between distribution and
production, were you can benefit from frequency headroom.