[LAU] jack/oversampling

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Mar 16 21:42:37 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 10:25 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 22:09 +0100, tim wrote:
>> though today, i just wanted to mix some 192khz recordings and some
>> people claimed that 48k is enough for everyone.
>
> What happens to the noise floor, when using such a high sampling rate?
> The noise floor of my RME card looks disgusting at 192 KHz.

reading such data requires some interpretation. keep in mind you are now
looking at four times the bandwidth (which will contain more energy),
and that you may be seeing intentional noise shaping (which would be a
real problem for bat fans, unfortunately, but is very beneficial for
humans).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net