[LAU] Proposal for 'lo-fi' music competition

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:04:11 UTC 2014

In light of the interesting discussion on sample rates I propose a music
competition among LAU around production of music pieces with quality
considered 'low' by current dominating professional/audiophile standards
in the digital domain:

Specifics to be discussed, but I would start with the following:

1. Final piece shall be delivered with a maximum sampling rate of 32kHz.
Lower sample rates .allowed.

2. Final bit depth of the file shall not exceed 8 bit.
	- Possible variations/additions to this restriction:
		- allow dithering?
		- allow 4/8bit codecs (e.g. ADPCM, ulaw)?
		- mono/stereo?
		- simply impose a max duration and max filesize (but keep sr and bit
thresholds... and variations..)?

- Participants shall strongly focus on exploring and  exploiting the
imposed limitations in a creative and artistic way

Other specs, voting mechanisms, competition arrangements, prizes, ... ???

Ciao,
Lorenzo.