[LAU] OT: android for the linux user ...was: legacy equipment for a user who does not "program"

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:07:19 UTC 2014

On 18/03/14 22:56, Rob wrote:
> On 03/17/2014 11:32 PM, Simon Wise wrote:
>> I'm more interested in midi, osc, puredata
>> etc being able to connect via UDP and TCP in an isolated local network,
>> preferably via ethernet cable, as far as linux audio uses are concerned.
>> And testing USB audio, potentially using that.
>
> I hope that you'll share your results with us, as I (at least) am very
> interested in hearing about it and maybe trying to attempt it. My Android
> music-making so far has been a few rudimentary trackers and similar
> programs, and getting something "real" on there would be preferable until
> the gap has been filled.

Yes, I'll let you know. Messing around with the system a bit this evening, the
Debian roots I installed from the Play Store (that is a seriously daft name!)
are certainly working properly, and I have explored the way they are invoked
(standard chroot stuff, just a bit disguised) but they aren't really suited to
what I want. They point the way to putting my own in ... they have not required
adding root access. Looks like I will do the changes needed via the development
interface, rather than mess with the local permissions at all (well ... changing
the odd file ownership and turning down the volume on Samsung's "protective"
Knox application might make it all more workable).

Connectbot definitely does not do it for me ... the local terminal isn't working
properly at all, and anyway the interface is all wrong for a 10 inch device and
a standard bluetooth keyboard. I'll stick with juiceSSH until Debian and an X
server can replace it, keeping it around for those times I want a terminal
without a real keyboard.

I also tested SSHelper and that is being blocked by Samsung's rather zealous
Knox (the icon should be a gilded chastity belt rather than a shield). But the
help page suggests a way to simply change its settings behind its back (so the
suggestion was well worth it, thanks). I haven't tried that yet but I hope that
it is accessible via adb.

I had a closer look at what was going on, using the debian chroot, and should be
able to undo a lot of the silly restrictions... it would seem that Samsung is
more interested in locking things down than Google/Android are, and I certainly
want to keep the Samsung drivers and interface stuff fully intact because it is
very useful, and I paid them for it so I'd like to keep it, thanks, and without
the "helpful" security measures.

Simon