[LAU] Proposal for 'lo-fi' music competition

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 05:58:26 UTC 2014

On 17/03/14 19:46, Raphaël Mouneyres wrote:

>> Isn't stereo AM supposed to be better than stereo FM?
>>
>> P.S. I've never personally heard stereo AM, but the stations compress
>> the bejesus out of their FM transmissions -- bloody horrible!

Depends on the taste of the audience and station. FM here started with serious
music stations, with the audience mostly using good receivers in a good sound
system. And was very much better quality than AM at the time, not lo-fi sound at
all unless played on a tiny little portable ... but since they were not
compressing you lost most of the music in that case.

Simon