[LAU] Proposal for 'lo-fi' music competition

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 06:10:53 UTC 2014

On 20/03/14 05:58, david wrote:

> I couldn't tell. I don't think I've ever heard stereo AM. They probably compress
> the bejesus out of AM stereo transmissions, too, because they have to overcome
> the same problem regardless of frequency range (variable signal strength), right?

no .. signal strength is a more significant problem with AM, the audio signal is
based on the amplitude envelope of the carrier signal, while in FM the frequency
of the carrier signal is varied according to the audio, and the receiver follows
that. That is of course a simplification, but they are quite different.

Simon