[LAU] Bitwig 1.0 is out

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 12:54:57 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 05:08 AM, rosea grammostola wrote:
> Looks nice, but I doubt whether it is a all-in-one-packet as people on
> this list talked about before.
> I can only find a 7 instruments, handful of plugins and a few 100MB
> with samples

The instrument count includes five e-drum instruments, a bit bogus sort
of list in my opinion. I must say that the other instruments are quite
serviceable, but I'll guess that most users will want to deploy their
favorite VST/VSTi plugins.

I tested its automatic beat matching with five audio samples and a MIDI
track. Bitwig performed nicely on my old TurionX2 laptop, with smooth
and responsive controls for the synths and effects modules. Btw, the
system here is Fedora 19 x86_64, with Planet CCCRMA stuff.

The "handful of plugins" includes 25 audio fx, 9 "containers" (racks?),
and 11 "modulators, generators, note FX, and routers", all apparently
selected for their common utility.

The automation controls are cool. I'm just getting into the program,
I've looked at Ableton only briefly, so I've everything to learn about
using this kind of program.

Btw, LMMS has reached its 1.0 milestone, with nicely updated GUI and
overall performance.

Best,

dp