[LAU] Bitwig 1.0 is out

Guillaume Pellerin lists at parisson.com
Fri Mar 28 14:14:21 UTC 2014

On 28/03/2014 14:49, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 28/03/14 23:39, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 28 March 2014 08:34:28 Guillaume Pellerin did opine:
>>
>>> It seems that BitWig infringes the GPL: vamp-aubio is in there whereas
>>> the GPL is not mentioned in legal.html, neither Paul Brossier, the
>>> author of aubio...
>>>
>>> http://files.parisson.com/doc/bitwig/legal.html
>>>
>>> :'(

>> Two files are GPLv3.

No, only LGPLv3 is mentioned..

But the way I read the rest of that, its a minefield,
>> full of bouncing betties for the un-aware. I wouldn't advise downloading it
>> until those restrictions are lifted, every one of them.  Otherwise you
>> could find yourself in a legal quagmire.
>
> nothing in that document seems wrong ... most of it is BSD style licenses and
> the appropriate acknowledgements are there, a few are LGPL, which certainly
> allow use linked to closed code, and there is an offer to deliver source code
> at cost of delivery. Perhaps including the sources for those parts alongside the
> deb would have been a bit nicer, but they are libraries distributed for use with
> closed code and especially if they are simply used as the original binaries then
> all seems appropriate. None of the authors chose strict copyleft licenses.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough.. The current BitWig package includes vamp-aubio:

$ ls /opt/bitwig-studio/bin/vamp-plugins/
transient-detector.so  vamp-aubio.so

but vamp-aubio embeds libaubio which is GPL and then should be a least
mentioned. But as Alexandre got it from the BitWig team on twitter, aubio is not
used anymore by the app and will be removed from it.